How to Register your Product with the Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON): You must register your new imported goods and complete all legal criteria in Nigeria before you can sell them. The Standard Organization of Nigeria is the organization that checks and assures this (SON). As a result, SON offers the green light to genuine items in order to protect the economy against inferior goods. This post went over the process of registering your business with SON and, more especially, its products in great detail.
Why is the product necessary to Register with SON?
SON is in charge of stocking freshly imported items that have arrived in Nigeria for sale. For starters, it is governed by a long-standing Federal Government mandate. Furthermore, although it was formerly done manually, you may now register your goods online as of February 20th, 2013. Product registration is required because it ensures transparency and traceability throughout the importing process.
What are the benefits of registering my product with SON?
The following advantages come from registering your product with SON:
- It makes the product traceable in the Nigerian market, in case there is any need to track distribution
- The product registration process tells the legit products from counterfeit ones
- It helps reduce the circulation of substandard goods through inspection and testing
- On completing registration, your product is branded with the official SON product registration logo and number. Therefore, this signifies that it is legit, tested, and trusted.
Is there any penalties for not registering your product?
Because registering your product with SON is a legal necessity for it to be sold in the Nigerian market, failing to do so will result in legal consequences. It contains the following items:
- Payment of a fine determined by the organization
- Legal prosecution
- Complete seizure of goods by the Inspectorate and Compliance Directorate, as they assume that your goods are counterfeit and harmful
How do I register my product with SON?
Product registration has never been easier than it is now, thanks to the advancement of the internet. To register your product online, simply follow the steps below:
- First, you must visit their official website at https://son.gov.ng/
- Locate the “e-product Registration” on the homepage, and then click on it to proceed
- At this point, you would have the options of either creating a new account for new businesses or logging in with an existing account if you already have one
- Click new account for fresh registration, and supply your RC/Business number (it appears in the format RC2222). Also, you would need to supply a valid email address and then click sign up.
- On clicking sign up, the system sends a 6 digit pin to your mail, which you would need to login
- Copy the number and then log in by imputing your RC/business number and the pin as your password
- After that, proceed to fill in your company details and click continue
- The system then generates payment advice. You should print this and take it to any bank, which would generate an RRR code for you to make the payment.
- Lastly, after making the payment, return to their official website, log in, and supply all the details about your product which they request to complete your registration.
It is critical and required that you register your goods with SON in order to sell in Nigeria. The technique is straightforward and easy to comprehend. More crucially, it can be done from anywhere in the world via the internet.